Tuesday 8 May 2012

Performance management


Performance management

Performance management is a procedure where the direct and efficient management of individuals and teams help to attain increased levels of the company’s performance. Cardy (2011) points out that performance management is far more than reporting on performance, they should also provide feedback. Cardy defines it as functioning with a team or employees to enhance future performances.

Performance management is important in an organisation, that is why we measure it, to check on employees commitment and motivation as this is like to increase the activity of employees. There are many benefits of measuring performance of employees. One of the benefits is that the goal will be clear-cut and the togetherness of the company may be better. This is because an individuals goal will be similar the an organisations and therefore, most employees can work together. This in turn can lead to increased communication skills. There are many ways to measure performance such as number of products made or number of complaints dealt with.

My appraisal

Performance appraisals frequently record an assessment of an individuals performance and growth that individuals may need. An appraisal is a chance to see how employees are getting on and to see what they have accomplished. Randhawa (2007) claims that an performance appraisal is evaluation of an employees performance in order to make future decisions on them. The reasons for appraisals are that it can enhance current performance which can increase motivation. It also makes clear what is expected from the aim of the job and if employees need training or if they have the potential for promotion.

There can be many problems with appraisals. If criticism is taken the one way or it is not constructive, it will not be an effective appraisal and the motivation of the employee may deteriorate. Work productivity might be less. There can also be many other problems such as reward, reward may not be as hoped and so the employee again may lose motivation to work. The manager may also lack interest in appraisal and may not be prepared, in turn, infrequent feedback will be provided. Hegar (2008) also mentions some problems such the problems of being bias.

An appraisal I have had a work is when I had work experience at John Lewis. They called me in with the manager of the section I was working at, and my employer. It was a one to one basis, they gave me feedback and discussed how I was doing, my performance and if I had any issues with the job. They went through a performance record and told me what the colleagues thought of me.

In my opinion, the appraisal was effective. This is because I felt that I had done my job well and I got recognised for it. They also asked if I wanted a job at John Lewis, these factors motivated me to work hard as I felt was wanted in the company. They gave me positive feedback and listened to whatever I had to say. I also think it was effective because they shared every ones views that I was working with on me. So there was nothing hidden, even if I had criticism, it would be constructive criticism.

They did not set me any goals since I was only on working experience, however, the little jobs I had, they thought I don ea good job. They would make sure I know which driven me to work harder. Overall, I thought it was an effective appraisal.

Skills to be a mentor

A mentor is an individual who helps advise and supports other employees. A mentor usually has a lot of experience in which they use to help the employee develop. They will encourage an employee to work hard and achieve its maximum potential so that their performance will improve. Avis (2010) depicts mentoring as a long term learning curve which is used to support individuals who have not reached their maximum potential yet.

Reading an article from the Times, I believe there are many skills and abilities required to be a mentor. The skills are not as difficult as one may think. These are skills are skills just as listening. In order to be a good mentor, they must listen to the individual, main eye contact with them so the individual feels they can go to someone for advice. Mentors must be supportive, so they can help an employee grow and develop. One of the most vital factors in my opinion of a mentor is being a good communicator and having some experience. This is because they can share the knowledge they have with the employee, so the employee knows what they have to go through in order to improve their performance and grow. Relationship is also an important factor. This is because having a good relationship with your employee develops the element of trust.

My mentor

At A levels, each student was given a mentor. I was very pleased with the teacher I got, this is because not jut through A levels, but also through school, the teacher guided me and encouraged me to work hard. At A level we would have a meeting every week to discuss how Ii am getting on. We would also discuss results and coursework due in, as well as personal life if needed. I would be explained what I should do in order to try to succeed, not just academically, bit also through sport. Discussing how I can improve in areas and encouraging me to be motivated as it gave me a sense of belief that I could do well and therefore, it motivated me to work hard.

However, my parents have been the biggest mentor in my life. This is because they support me whatever I choose to do and always try to push me the best I can be without putting too much pressure on me. This cold be in hobbies such as golf or piano or academically in school. They have guided me through my life, even when I have hard decisions to make. They would help advise me and are my biggest inspirations.

This blog has been comforting; this is because I got to look back at my school times. I believe performance appraisal is important in a working environment; recognition is needed in my opinion for good work in order to keep motivation high. I have learnt a lot from this topic, how appraisals can be effective and problems that can arise with appraisals. Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed this topic.

Bibliography

Hegar, K.W. (2008) Modern Human Relations at Work. Mason, OH: South-western Cengage Learning.

Avis J, Fisher, R. and Thompson, R. (2010) Teaching in Lifelong Learning. Berkshire : Open university press.

Randhawa, G. (2007) Human Resource Management. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers and Distributors Ltd.

Cardy, R.L and Leonard, B. (2011) Performance Management: Concepts, Skills, and Exercises. 2nd ed. New York: M.E sharpe Inc.




No comments:

Post a Comment