Tuesday 8 May 2012

Recruitment


RECRUITMENT


Recruitment is the process of hiring potential employees or candidates for a particular job. They could be hiring employees for many reasons such as a shortage of staff. Gatewood (2010) defines recruitment as a companies activities that cause a number of individuals to apply for a position. There are many ways of recruiting, such as through job centres, job advertising and even recommendations.


www.fish4jobs.co.uk
Fish4jobs is an online recruitment site that targets the Uk market. There own website tells us that there are 17188 new jobs listed and 37,005 new members this month. There are many reasons why online recruitment sites have increasing over the years. One reason is because of technology, a job space can be put on a site very speedily and so applicants can apply quickly. Job seekers will also have a much longer time to look for a job and there may be more people looking on the website than going into a store asking for an application. It is also very easy to put your CV on online recruitment sites and this will be for employers to see.

Fish4jobs layout is very clear in my opinion as they have a lot of sections where they can choose where to find a job. For example, there are jobs such as accountancy, sales, management and many more on the webpage. This also shows that fish4jobs is well structured. The layout is also clear because you can easily locate jobs in your areas and there is a search bar to look for jobs suited to you. It has headings such as “browse jobs” which makes it much easier to find a particular job in an area for you. The colour of the website is orange, so it is very bright which can attract job seekers. It also gives you statistics on the webpage which is shown above.

www.monster.co.uk
Monster is slightly different compared fish4jobs. First of all the colour is purple compared to fish4jobs orange. There is a search bar for monster, where you can type in the job title and location. Monster also uses social network sites to stay connected with the latest jobs, uploading a CV is also simple with monster as it is on the front page. There are many advantages and disadvantages to both websites.

E-recruitment campaign

E-recruitment is a procedure of using the internet in order to find a job for an individual. There can be job advertisements on the website which can attract a number of candidates. Armstrong (2012) defines online recruitment as using the internet to promote job vacancies and provide information about jobs.

An e-recruitment campaign that I found interesting is one form Cadburys Schweppes. In 2008, Cadburys Schweppes wanted to employ 20 graduates. Whilst recruiting graduates, they have created an new idea which is to have a new online chatroom so candidates have a opportunity to interact with the company’s graduates. Berry (2007) believes that with the advancement of technology, graduates should be comfortable with social networking sites for information and communication. This got me interested because I believe social networking is becoming a big part of peoples lives, not just for graduates, but for everyone. When I read this, I thought it was a great idea that social networks can be used in the recruitment process. Contacting past graduates will also get an idea for the candidates and I believe social networking sites are the best way to do that.

Another online recruit campaign that caught my eye from Cadburys Schweppes is an online testing one. This campaign also caught my eye because of the testing they are doing on graduates in order to improve efficiency and speed of the recruitment process. I believe that this is a good idea as well as the last campaign, as it give an idea of who is suitable for the job. The article highlights that it can be used to make a shortlist. I believe this is an intriguing way to search for the best candidate for the job and think it will distinguish who is suitable for it. Links are shown in the bibliography.

www.shldirect.com
After visiting www.shldirect.com and completing some of the aptitude tests, I feel there are benefits and disadvantages to this test. I would be keen for similar tests as a recruitment tool because it gives me a chance to prepare for it. This is because there are likely to be similar questions provided on the internet and therefore, will have a chance to see what kind of questions could come up. I would also be keen on the test because it may tell me that the job is not suited for me even if I pass it. For example, there might be questions that are related to the job which are too challenging for my liking, therefore I may not want to take this job on. If my numerical skills was not very good, and the job was linked a lot with numbers, I may feel the job is not for me and therefore, there would be no point of an interview. So therefore, up to a point, I feel keen that aptitude tests should be a recruitment tool.

However, I don't believe aptitude tests should be there for many reasons. One reason is that if I feel I have done poor on one of the tests such as the verbal testing, I may have lost motivation before the interview. Also, questionnaires such as personality can be misleading; this is because I feel that my personality can sometimes depend on what situation I am in. For example, a question that came up on the personality questionnaire is are you a person that is talkative? So aptitude tests can also be misleading and therefore, I would also not be keen in having them as a recruitment tool.

Recruitment was a topic that I have learnt a lot from, for example I never knew so many tests that can be involved in the recruitment process. I believe recruitment is a difficult process as getting the candidate is a complex task. Even though there are many ways of recruitment, there are pros and cons to all of them.

Bibliography
Armstrong, M. (2012) Armstrong's Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice. 12th ed. London: Kogan page.

Berry, M. (2007) [online]. personneltoday. Available from: 
http://www.personneltoday.com/articles/2007/11/07/43161/cadbury-schweppes-launches-uk-graduate-recruitment-campaign-with-a-new-online-chatroom.html [Accessed: 7 November 2007].

Gatewood R, Field, H and Barrick, M. (2010) Human Resource Selection. th ed. ed. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.

http://www.onrec.com/news/news-archive/cadbury-schweppes-sweetens-recruitment-with-online-testing-from-psl




Top of Form
Bottom of Form


No comments:

Post a Comment